Flannery Bartlett finds game winner in 106th minute

Flannery Bartlett finds game winner in 106th minute

The Wildcats traveled to Southwestern College on Friday for a later afternoon contest with the Moundbuilders.

Johnson & Wales began the contest with some fury as Ben Flannery Bartlett (Highlands Ranch, Colo.) had a pair of shots saved in the sixth and seventh minutes. JWU's offense kept the Southwestern College keeper on point early as they had three other attempts just off target in the opening minutes. Jordan Collier (Plainfield, Ill.) made his first save of the game in the 13th minute as the Moundbuilders looked to do something with their possession.

Despite six shots on goal throughout the first half, the Wildcats took a 0-0 draw into the break.

In the second half, the Moundbuilders broke through in the 54th minute as Collier charged to meet a streaking Justin Calicchia who shot past Collier and gave SC a 1-0 lead. Dean Rounsevell (Port Macquarie, Australia) had his third shot on target saved as he looked to bring the 'Cats level. With 24:33 left on the clock, the Moundbuilders were called for a foul in the box, sending Flannery Bartlett to the spot. Flannery Bartlett converted to put JWU on the board and put some energy back into the Wildcats. 

Mark Ramirez-Tapia (Longmont, Colo.) had his shot saved just before the end of regulation as the 1-1 tie got sent into extra time. Ramirez-Tapia and Ty Stephens (League City, Texas) each had a shot on goal saved in the first overtime period and Collier made a stop at the other end to send the game into a second overtime period.

Flannery Bartlett took a pass from Mitchel Erickson (Pueblo West, Colo.) with 4:57 left and slotted it past the keeper to give the Wildcats the game winner.

Flannery Bartlett led JWU with four shots on goal as the 'Cats put 15 shots on frame throughout the 106 minutes. Collier made two saves in JWU's 2-1 double overtime victory.

The 'Cats will take on Bethel College on Sunday afternoon to wrap up weekend action.