Ramirez-Tapia scores twice in loss at Briar Cliff

Ramirez-Tapia scores twice in loss at Briar Cliff

The Wildcats headed to Sioux City, Iowa on Friday for a road contest at Briar Cliff University.

The 'Cats pressured early with an attempt by Ivan Torres (Houston, Texas) going high in the 13th minute. Michael Genge (Broomfield, Colo.) made a stop at the other end just a few seconds later to break up the Charger's -counter-attempt. The Wildcats continued to push on the offensive side of the field but found their shots just off the mark. In the 20th minute, Briar Cliff found their way onto the scoreboard after converting a penalty kick attempt. Ben Flannery Bartlett (Lake Minnetonka, Minn.) tied the game in the 25th minute as the Wildcats finally broke through the BCU defense. BCU went back up 2-1 in the 33rd minute and took the lead into the break.

The second half started with the Chargers maintaining much of the possession. Genge came up with two saves in the first eight minutes of the half. Briar Cliff added a third goal in the 56th minute to capitalize on their momentum. In the 62nd minute, the 'Cats went down to 10 men as Flannery Bartlett was shown a red card. Despite being down a man, the Wildcats continued to put pressure on the BCU backline. In the 76th minute, Mark Ramirez-Tapia (Longmont, Colo.) pulled the 'Cats to within one as he took a pass from Kyler Fowkes (Arvada, Colo.) and slotted it past the BCU keeper. Following the restart, the Wildcats again grabbed possession and drove down the field. Ramirez-Tapia added his second goal of the game in the 78th minute to tie the game at three goals each. The Wildcats looked to have found some late momentum but back to back goals by BCU broke up the run and put the game out of reach as the Wildcats fell 6-3 despite the late push.

Torres and Ramirez-Tapia each had two shots on goal for Johnson & Wales and Genge made nine saves for JWU.

The 'Cats wiill take on Morningside College on Sunday to close out the weekend.