Wildcats hold on for 2-1 win

Wildcats hold on for 2-1 win

The Wildcats opened the weekend with a Saturday afternoon contest against Dordt College at Aurora Sports Park.

Wildcat's goalkeeper Michael Genge (Broomfield, Colo.) was called into action in the fifth minute as he was forced to make a stop on attempt by Mason Faucett. At the other end, Riley Shea (Broomfield, Colo.) saw his 11th minute attempt go high as the 'Cats looked for the first goal of the game. Adama Diop (Dakar, Senegal) saw his first attempt of the game go wide in the 17th minute. Diop finally broke through in the 21st minute, as Kyler Fowkes (Arvada, Colo.) chipped in a ball that Diop headed in from four yards out to give the Wildcats the 1-0 lead. The Defenders continued to look for the equalizer but saw their attempts go wide of frame or into the hands of Genge. In the 41st minute, Fergus Bunn (Melbourne, Australia) put a shot on goal that hit the post and rebounded to his feet. He collected the ball and sent it back in to double the Wildcat's lead.

Dordt College got one goal back after the restart as Garrett Goodson knocked a ball in from a few feet out into the corner of the goal. The Wildcats took a 2-1 lead into the break after each team had another shot on goal saved by their respective keepers int he closing minutes of the period.

The 53rd minute saw Genge step up again and make the stop on an attempt by Patrick Munsey. For most of the second period, the two teams chased possession throughout the midfield and cut off each other's passes to keep both offenses in a holding pattern. Fowkes looked to make it 3-1 in the 83rd minute but DC's Zach Roberts made the save. A header by Dordt in the final 90 seconds was saved by Genge to preserve the 2-1 victory.

Four Wildcats had a shot on goal with Diop and Bunn collecting a goal each. Genge made five saves for Johnson & Wales in the victory.

The Wildcats return to action on Sunday when they host Southwestern College at 2:30 pm at Aurora Sports Park.